Neighbours call on the council to remove takeaway’s licence to grill

Huge package of objections and letters of support filed at the Town Hall

Thursday, 27th November — By Caitlin Maskell

lebanese grill (2)

A picture of the takeaway submitted to the council

PEOPLE living near a popular kebab shop have called on the Town Hall to revoke its late night licence tonight (Thursday), after pages of complaints about noise, litter and smoke.

Councillors are due to meet to rule on a licence review of the Lebanese Grill in Leather Lane, but must first wade through a 380-page report packed with accounts of late night disturbances, messy streets and a smoky extraction flue blackening brickwork.

The hearing has been triggered by environmental health officers who said warnings had been ignored. Police have also said that action needs to be taken to reduce disturbances for the takeaway’s neighbours.

Residents in Holborn say large numbers gather at the corner, slamming car doors and leaving trays of litter.

In a joint objection, ward councillors Sue Vincent, Julian Fulbrook and Awale Olad, said the Lebanese Grill has been a source of “significant public nuisance, disorder and environmental degradation,” for more than three years, adding: “Residents have been subject to near-nightly disturbances: aggressive behaviour, loud and abusive language, spitting, public fighting, and intimidation by groups of individuals, many of whom travel from outside the borough.”

They added: “The extraction system emits a level of smoke and particulate matter that renders it almost impossible to open windows or enjoy fresh air in adjacent properties.”

Lebanese Grill has rejected the claims and says it manages waste properly and keeps the street clean.

In its response to the council, the business said: “The aroma of charcoal is one which is commonplace to grilled cuisine as is the aroma of spice or vegetables if a curry house or Chinese takeaway shop is open.

“There is no antisocial behaviour other than people visiting to enjoy grilled cuisine. We are using a sound meter to measure the decibel readings from patrons who access the unit via their vehicles.

“Any noise above 35 decibels means the manager goes to the contravening patron and issues a warning.”

White takeaway bags left on the Bourne estate in Holborn

But among the objections published by the council ahead of tonight’s meetings, Eric de Vries, who lives close by, said that hazardous fumes make it unpleasant to open windows.

“Even with the closed windows, the smell of the fumes are so strong it fills the living room,” he said.

“Anti-social behaviour from customers means the whole of Hatton Wall is left littered with silver trays, takeaway bags and food. [We’ve] seen pests as a result.”

Neville Perrett, another neighbour, added: “Silver trays full of uneaten food dumped on the ground, this is every single day.”

The pack of documents put online for public view is one of the largest Camden’s licensers have seen for a single business in recent year.

But it’s not only stuffed with objections – some nearby residents have defended the Lebanese Grill.

Dr David Wolfe KC said the extraction system needed addressing but that the takeaway was very well run, and largely its customers well behaved.

“Its staff are friendly and courteous, dealing well with a wide range of customers each day including late at night,” he said.

“It serves well-prepared, well-priced freshly-cooked food. It makes an important contribution to the vibrant and diverse life of this area – the very thing which makes me and my wife, and many others, choose to live in this part of Camden. I am most concerned about anything which imperils that.”

Another resident, Rafi Faruk, registered his concern of the tone of the councillors objections.

He said: “The language used feels unnecessarily inflammatory and unfairly targets a local business that has, from my experience, operated in good faith and with genuine consideration for the community.”

The Bourne Estate Tenants and Residents Association, however, has strongly objected to the grill’s licence saying that its customers bring crime, disorder and nuisance to the estate.

“The whole estate including children’s playgrounds are taken over by groups of customers from Lebanese Grill,” its written statement added: “Not only do large groups come to the estate to eat their food, they then spend time terrorising the residents by fighting, drug-taking, gaining access to different blocks.

“We ask that the Lebanese Grill’s licence be completely revised so that our community can finally live in a happy, clean and environmentally friendly place.”

The review meeting starts at 7pm tonight.

Related Articles