Grooves: Crossfade; Sam Lee; Pitchfork; Seasick Steve; JARV IS
Thursday, 4th November 2021 — By Róisín Gadelrab
Sam Lee plays the Union Chapel on Nov 11
COMBINE some soul, garage and R ‘n B with a classic fireworks show at Ally Pally as Trevor Nelson helps bring a festival vibe to proceedings on Saturday (Nov 6). Expect a German beer festival, ice rink disco and Wannabe: The Spice Girls Show tribute act as well as street food, fire juggling and lots more.
• Jazzie B, Judge Jules, Lady Leshurr and Kissy Sellout are among the long list of DJs announced to play at Camden Crossfade Festival, a series of DJ sets at newly launched Hawley Wharf development. The free DJ sets begin tonight (Nov 4) and will run from 1pm-7pm Wednesday to Sunday until New Year’s Eve. Jazzie B said: “Even before Soul II Soul had released a record, we were part of Camden Market, our clothing and music stalls in Dingwalls and Stables was part of the unique youth culture of that area – it was our local scene. Since our early days we’d soaked up the eclectic vibes, absorbing the art, the fashion, the music, the graffiti, the sound systems that made Camden Town so special. And the most important thing we learned from those who went before us was how vital it was to put back into the community that lifted you up in the first place. I still live and operate in the area and feel privileged to be invited to DJ in Camden Market as this is where so much of what we achieved as a collective began. We’ve come full circle – this is us supporting Camden Market in the way it supported Soul II Soul more than 30 years ago.” See full details at www.camdencrossfade.com
• The first ever Pitchfork Festival takes place in multi venues across London next week (Nov 10-14). Featuring performances from over 50 artists including Stereolab, Moses Boyd, Black Midi, Tirzah, Anna Meredith, Mykki Blanco, PC Music and more, the festival takes place at the Roundhouse, Village Underground, Fabric, Earth, Fire, Southbank X Concrete lates, Oslo, Moth Club, Oval Space, Hackney Church Roundhouse and more. Details at www.pitchforkmusicfestival.co.uk/
• Mercury-nominated folk singer and conservationist Sam Lee performs material from Bernard Butler-produced album Old Wow+ at Union Chapel on Nov 11. Things could take a more irreverent tone at the Chapel when John Lydon appears on Nov 13 while Seth Lakeman introduces album Make Your Mark on Nov 16.
• Seasick Steve promises songs and stories at his solo Just Steve, A Guitar and You show at London Palladium on Nov 7 to support new album Blues in Mono on Nov 7 with special guest Kitty Macfarlane. Also at the Palladium, Will Young marks 20 years since his Pop Idol win with a greatest hits set on Nov 11.
• Award-wining Irish singer songwriter Declan O’Rourke plays Kings Place on Nov 5 with his new Paul Weller-produced album Arrivals. Support from Richard Walters.
• Manchester R&B singer Pip Millett plays Islington Assembly Hall on Nov 5.
• Respected Merseyside musician Ian Prowse, frontman of Amsterdam and previously of cult indie band Pele, promotes the re-release of album Attitunes (including on red vinyl) 20 years after its first inception at The Islington on Nov 5-6.
• Transglobal Underground featuring Natacha Atlas play Jazz Café on Nov 6. Then, on Nov 18 the venue hosts hot jazz talent Judi Jackson.
• Jarvis Cocker takes his JARV IS … project to the Roundhouse on Nov 9. Black Pumas and Seratones also play the Roundhouse on Nov 6-7.
• Bongeziwe Mabandla brings an eclectic blend of African traditional and urban folk to the 100 Club on Nov 7-8. The venue also hosts The Blue Beaters (Nov 11) and Ian Siegal (Nov 15).
• Irish singer Mary Coughlan plays Islington Assembly Hall on Nov 9. Upcoming gigs at the Assembly Hall include 65Daysofstatic (Nov 11), Knucks (Nov 13) and Gazby (Nov 17).
• More upcoming gigs Spinn, Lafayette; Kathryn Williams, Kings Place; Christian Löffler, Barbican (Nov 6); Lola Young, Lafayette (Nov 10); The Lafontaines, Lafayette (Nov 11); Pave The Jungle, The Fiddler; David Broad, The Green Note (Nov 12); Megan McKenna, Lafayette; Evil Scarecrow, The Garage; Ranagri, The Slaughtered Lamb; Secret Affair, 229 (Nov 13); Bella Gaffney, The Harrison; Dead Men Walking, 229 (Nov 14); Tamikrest + Miraculous Mule, 229 (Nov 15); Rina Sawayama, Roundhouse; Bartees Strange, PowerHaus; Elderbrook, Electric Ballroom; Porij, Elektrowerkz (Nov 17), TEMS (Nov 18-20).