Tragedy as boy dies after falling from fourth floor

Police investigate the circumstances

Friday, 13th May — By Tom Foot

Untitled design (62)

Flowers at the block in Kentish Town

AN investigation is under way after a four-year-old boy died after falling from the fourth floor of a housing block, writes Tom Foot.

The tragedy at the Princes Park development in Prince of Wales Road, next to Talacre Park in Kentish Town, happened around 2pm on Monday.

A security guard at the block called the emergency services and an air ambulance landed in the park.

But the boy died in hospital shortly after being taken by air ambulance, the Met said.

One Housing, which owns the social housing flats in the block, said safety checks were being made and residents were being offered emotional support.

Chief executive Richard Hill told the New Journal: “Our thoughts are with the family and they have our deepest condolences. The police are currently investigating and it would be inappropriate for us to comment further on this tragic incident at this time.”

One witness described the scene as “horrific” and “unimaginable” as the boy was still alive before being rushed away to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington.

An ambulance service statement said: “We sent an ambulance crew, a paramedic in a fast-response car, an advanced paramedic, an incident response officer and members of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART). We also dispatched London’s air ambulance. The first paramedic arrived at the scene in less than six minutes. We treated a patient at the scene and took them to a major trauma centre, by road, as a priority.”

Staff at the Prince of Wales Group Practice beneath the block and the neighbouring Talacre leisure centre had gone out to help.

Witnesses said there had been cries for help before the fall. Unbelievably, there were also reports of people taking photos and filming the horrific aftermath.

A Met spokesman said: “Police were called at approximately 2pm on Monday to reports of a child who had fallen from height from a building in Prince of Wales Road.”

They added that the boy’s next of kin have been informed and enquiries into the circumstances continue.

Related Articles