Róisín Gadelrab’s music news: Camden Guitars; Deaf Rave; Elvana; Festive Grrrlesque
Thursday, 12th December 2019 — By Róisín Gadelrab
Camden Guitars owner Deicola Neves with Woody Harrelson
IT seems Camden Guitars owner Deicola Neves’ guitars have been playing on Hollywood actor Woody Harrelson’s mind. Just days after the actor popped in to jam on one of Deicola’s own-brand guitars, only to leave without making a purchase after his brother offered to give him a guitar, we hear Harrelson sent an assistant to go back and buy a guitar. Who knows, maybe we’ll find him jamming back in Camden any day soon.
• It’s good to see Colours Hoxton, which hosts Deaf Rave’s NYE party, has worked hard to ensure it is inclusive. It is wheelchair accessible, ensures the best view for seated customers and offers one free access guestlist spot for support workers or carers with every general admission ticket purchased.
• Elvana, yes, the Elvis fronted Nirvana band, and Haggard Cat, play The Forum on tomorrow (Friday) – sure to be a bizarre night.
• See Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood, the artist, in action at his new pop-up exhibition at 71 Blandford Street, Marylebone, from Dec 13-15. As well as showing some of his best loved paintings, unseen new works and a series of limited-edition signed, numbered prints, Ronnie will recreate his art studio on the Marylebone gallery floor and will be making a rare live painting appearance over the weekend. Highlights include a series of hand-painted Fender guitars that have never been seen before.
• Madness continue their celebration of past, present and future – looking back over their 40-year history and forward to new material – with three shows at The Roundhouse (Dec 15-17).
• There’s a Festive Grrrlesque Burlesque Party going on over at The Dublin Castle tomorrow night (Friday) and it promises to be a female-fronted punk night with a burlesque element. Line-up includes Starsha Lee, The Weird Things, Pollypikpocketz and Roxanne Fontana.
• Camden favourite and ex-Tribes man Johnny Lloyd is special guest headliner at The Grace (The Garage) on Dec 14.
• Mark Burgess and Reg Smithies, original members of 80s Manchester band The Chameleons, have reformed for a special gig at 229 on Dec 15. Support from West Wickhams.
• Manchester rapper and songwriter Aitch plays The Forum on Dec 16.
• Notable gigs this week: The Chats, The Forum (Dec 14); Little Simz, The Forum; Vinnie Caruana, The Black Heart (Dec 15); Cronin, The Fiddler, NW6; DJ Vadim + J Man, 100 Club (Dec 16); Vetvier, Islington Academy; The Slow Readers Club, The Dome; Steeleye Span’s 50th Anniversary, Barbican (Dec 17); Max Richter: Voices, Barbican Hall (Feb 17-18); Sweet + Novatines, Islington Assembly Hall; Clutch, Roundhouse; The Libertines, Brixton Academy; James Yorkston, The Lexington (Dec 18); Hobo Johnson and the Lovemakers, Roundhouse; Sean McGowan, The Islington (Dec 19).
The Slow Readers Club