Police increase patrols after Primrose Hill murder
Finbar Sullivan died in April after being stabbed n the park
Friday, 22nd May — By Caitlin Maskell

Sergeant Paul Beckley in Primrose Hill
POLICE have increased patrols in Primrose Hill Park following a knife murder.
The death of Finbar Sullivan, 21, in April led to calls for more resources and officers said this week that they were aware of “heightened” safety concerns in the area.
Superintendent Matt Cox said: “We recognise that residents and park users feel strongly about the need to improve a sense of safety and address anti-social behaviour within Primrose Hill park.
“Our neighbourhood officers are increasing patrols during peak periods to provide greater visibility and tackle crime and anti-social behaviour in the park and wider community.”
Officers said that theft, anti-social behaviour and drug related issues are among the most common problems that the patrols are finding, particularly during the summer months when thousands of people can visit the park in just one day.
Sergeant Paul Beckley said: “We have good relationships with residents and businesses in the area. It’s about building trust and being a visible presence.”
While the New Journal has previously reported on bike robberies in the area, the Met said that crime across the Royal Parks is down by 27 per cent compared to last year.
Within the Primrose Hill ward there are three police constables, a sergeant and two PCSOs (police community support officers), although PCSO Hamish Williams-Murray said there are “not really enough officers to cover the amount of people we see sometimes.”

Police at the top of Primrose Hill
PCSO Tom Jaszewski added: “Since the park police were disbanded it has been tough. They were a useful, extra presence.”
Magenta, a private security company, has recently increased patrols in the park.
The team said they had upped reassurance patrols in the ward, and that officers in high-visibility jackets have been walking through the area speaking with residents, businesses and visitors.
PC Ali Johns said: “We want to make sure we are a really visible presence. Making sure we are engaging with as many people in the community as often as we can and generally that means having a chat and making people feel a bit safer.”
PC Johns added: “It’s heartbreaking what happened, particularly as we are talking about young people.
“The feeling with young people in the area is that they are quite worried which is completely understandable, and now residents are worried too as it gets a bit sunnier that it is going to attract that kind of incident or interaction again.
“But luckily, a lot of our residents, young people and adults are quite resilient and have banded together as a community.”
Last month at a public meeting, broadcaster Andrew Marr, who lives in the area, warned against “knee-jerk” reactions to Mr Sullivan’s murder.
He also said that demanding more and more police would not solve the root causes of knife crime.
Mr Sullivan died as people gathered at the summit of the hill on a sunny evening. Three men have been charged with murder.