Met owe me a new bike, says cyclist ‘knocked off by unmarked police car'

Police insist investigated incident and no further action is needed

Thursday, 2nd June — By Tom Foot

Untitled design (64)

Dennis Carroll

A MAN who says he was knocked off his bike by an unmarked police car claims the Met are acting like a “law unto themselves”.

Dennis Carroll, who grew up around Holborn and went to the old William Collins School, took himself to the Royal Free in Hampstead after the collision on Saturday, February 19 at around 1.45pm.

The 62-year-old is appealing for witnesses after he had to have three sessions of physio for twisted back muscles and his bike was written off.

The Met has denied any wrongdoing to Mr Carroll and said the case is closed.

Mr Carroll said: “It’s not like I’m looking for a million-pound settlement. All I’m looking for is a new bike. “I’m 62. They’ve ruined my bike and now they’re acting as if it’s never happened.

“I’ve already got one witness who saw what happened.

“They’ve hit me, but they’ve just dismissed it and told me that the case is closed without doing anything about it. They are acting like they are a law unto themselves.”

He added: “I don’t know what is going on with the Met at the moment but it feels like every day you read something about how bad they are. I didn’t think too much about it before, but this has made me feel differently.” Mr Collins worked and has lived around Camden most of his life.

He said: “I come up to Kentish Town every week and I make sure I get the New Journal. I was up on that Saturday to see my mate and put a bet on the football.” The accumulator went down by one result, he said.

Mr Collins said he missed his bike particularly because riding helped him with “anxiety and depression”.

After contacting the council for CCTV, Mr Carroll believes there is evidence that could support a case against the Met.

A Met spokesperson said: “A police investigation was undertaken following reports of a collision involving a police vehicle and a cyclist in Kentish Town Road, at the junction with Prince of Wales Road, NW5 on February 19.

“The investigation included speaking to those involved and also analysed CCTV which clearly showed details of the incident.

“After reviewing all of the evidence available, a decision was taken that no further action should be taken against any person involved in the incident. All parties involved have been informed of this outcome.”

Related Articles