Lewis Blackman: Murder trial told teenager died after being stabbed 14 times
17-year-old accused of being among Dotz's killers
Thursday, 10th January 2019 — By Samantha Booth
Lewis Blackman died last February
A TEENAGER is accused of delivering the first stab wound before his friends carried on a “shocking” attack which left a Kentish Town man dead, a court has been told.
Former Acland Burghley School pupil Lewis Blackman, 19, died after being stabbed 14 times in the early hours of February 18 last year.
A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because of his age, is on trial at the Old Bailey accused of murder.
He denies the charge. Two boys, aged 17, were previously convicted of murder and a 16-year-old boy was convicted of manslaughter.
None can be named due to their ages.
Mr Blackman, also known as Dotty or Dotz, was with a group of friends when he tried to get into a girl’s 16th birthday party in west London.
Prosecutor Tom Little QC told the jury on Monday the girl had been “particularly careful” to avoid inviting any boys from Camden as she was aware of some “history between boys from Hackney and boys from Camden”.
However, the address of the flat she had rented in Earl’s Court was circulated and Mr Blackman and a group of friends tried to get in.
“They had not been invited, they were not expected and they were not friends with many of the other young men who were inside the flat,” said Mr Little.
The court heard how they were then chased by a group armed with knives, including the 17-year-old defendant, before Mr Blackman, who was also carrying a knife, turned back to the face them.
Realising the “perilous” situation he was in, he tried to escape and ran off. The jury was shown CCTV footage which the prosecution said showed the teenager catching Mr Blackman up and plunging a knife into his back.
The rest of the group carry on chasing Mr Blackman as he staggers from his injury, the court was told, before he falls to the ground in Logan Place, where a series of blows are carried out by other attackers.
The prosecution then accuse the defendant of stabbing Mr Blackman a second time.
Mr Little said: “The brutality of this attack, we say, is truly shocking. So are the apparent celebration and the calm and carefree way in which those responsible walked or jogged away.”
The 14 stab wounds were distributed across Mr Blackman’s upper torso, front and back, and to both of his legs. The prosecution say the teenager on trial intended to cause serious bodily harm to Mr Blackman, given the “ferocity” of the first blow.
After leaving the area, the defendant went to hospital where he sought treatment to a wound on his arm. Mr Little said: “The police were called because of concerns the doctors had as to how he had been injured but [the defendant] refused to answer any of their questions.”
He remained silent throughout police interviews after he was arrested. Mr Little said the prosecution understands the teenager will say he went to hospital because he was attacked by Mr Blackman.
“Even assuming for one moment it was Blackman who stabbed [the defendant] in the property, the Crown say that provides no defence and cannot begin to justify what took place on Logan Place a minute or two later,” said Mr Little.
The trial, which is expected to last two weeks, continues.