Police call for review of licence at Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes after investigating stab brawl
Thursday, 7th January 2016

IT’S the trendy nightspot which helped turn a mainstay of children’s parties – ten-pin bowling – into a sought-after destination for chic private functions and after-work dos.
But a “mass brawl” inside the Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes which led to a teenager being stabbed in the street has led police to try and cut back its opening hours.
The 18-year-old victim was left with life-threatening injuries after a knife was plunged into his liver during the attack outside the venue in Bedford Way in October.
Licensing officers from Camden police have since seized CCTV footage, which they said shows the victim and his attackers had been at a party inside when a fight involving around 50 people broke out. They have asked Camden Council to review the conditions of its licence.
“Individuals can be seen punching and kicking people, throwing chairs, stools and tables,” said Detective Constable Simon Radcliffe in his report. “One male has either removed, or lost his shirt and is bare-chested. Another male is holding what appears to be a stick, possibly a belt.
“Whilst the two [bouncers] deal with the fight as best they can in the circumstances with what appears the be up to 50 people fighting, they are clearly outnumbered and they struggle to stop the melee. It takes about 10 minutes for the fighting to eventually stop as the floor empties and patrons begin to leave the premises.”
Police said the victim – who they described as “a young man on his first night out in central London” – was attacked 10 metres away from the venue shortly after it closed at 2am on October 25. While now stable, he suffered “life-changing injuries with permanent liver damage”, police said.
DC Radcliffe said: “This raises concerns about search on entry, control of the disorder inside and outside the premises and concerns about general staffing levels at the venue.”
Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes, which includes a dancefloor, karaoke booth and 80-seater diner, opened in 2005 as a wave of similar outlets popped up across London, combining alcohol and low-level sporting activity.
In the report, DC Radcliffe said police had received “co-operation in terms of proposals in moving forward” from the owner, Jon Dalton.
“Since this incident, ID scan has been employed at entry, metal detectors are being used for searches and a CCTV camera has been fitted outside the door, with immediate plans to install further cameras,” added DC Radcliffe.
“Whilst we applaud this effort, further conditions are recommended.”
He said the venue had previously been given “leeway” to make improvements following a similar incident on New Year’s Day 2013 in which somebody was stabbed outside during a fight that had begun inside the venue.
But he is now calling for the closing time to be brought back to 1am and for extra bouncers to be on duty during busy times, pointing out: “It would seem that the five [bouncers] were not able to gain control of the mass brawl for almost 10 minutes.”
Members of the public can have their say on the proposals until January 19, with a Town Hall licensing committee expected to meet to discuss the incident shortly after.
Mr Dalton was contacted several times for comment but had not responded as the New Journal went to press last night.