CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Zombie spirited away from doorstep

Have you seen "Robbie the Zombie"?

29 October, 2020 — By Bronwen Weatherby

Robbie the Zombie

ZOMBIES can’t just get up and walk away by themselves, can they?

This is the Halloween mystery in Camden Town after a doorstep decoration disappeared on Friday.

Owner Saavik Wilcox-Hamilton is now offering £100 reward for anybody who can locate “Robbie the Zombie”.

She said: “My mum found him in an antiques shop and knowing how much I absolutely love Halloween, like most Americans, bought him for me. I’m not concerned about the cost, he just means a lot to me.”

Ms Wilcox-Hamilton, originally from San Francisco but now living in Arlington Road, said: “Me and my husband moved here last year from Maida Vale and having met so many of my amazing neighbours it seems like such a good neighbourhood, so I had not expected something like this to happen. I maybe should have bolted him down.”

She said Robbie had vanished on Friday.

Saavik Wilcox-Hamilton

“He was there at around 8am when we took the dogs for a walk and then was gone by midday,” said Ms Wilcox-Hamilton, a former CNN marketing director who turned 35 this week.

“I know it’s Halloween, the season of trick or treat, and everyone plays pranks, but I’d really like to have him back, so if you do return him it’ll be no questions asked.”

The Zombie is believed to be around 30 years old. It is also mechanical and a button causes its head to lift up and down.

Ms Wilcox-Hamilton said she reported it to the police but had been told they could not take the case further. She said her home would still be decorated with pumpkins this year.

Is fright night cancelled for you?

Families urged against trick or treating

POLICE have urged parents to “be sensible” over trick or treating on Saturday night with opinion divided over whether the tradition should go ahead in the middle of a pandemic.

Readers joining the debate on the New Journal’s Facebook page alternated between a flat “no” to the idea of door­knocking this year, and others who believe it can be done safely and children should not miss out on their fun.

On the Holly Lodge estate in Highgate, however, there has already been a warning that trick or treating will not be allowed this Halloween.

Letters posted through doors said: “Halloween has been cancelled this year”, and advised: “In order to discourage any visitors please consider turning off your lights at the front of your property.”

London is currently under “Tier 2” restrictions, including a rule not to meet with people from other households indoors.

It means pubs will struggle to bring in any extra income from the fright-night festival, while Halloween parties are not permitted in people’s houses. The “rule of six” also remains in place.

Earlier this month, we reported how police wanted residents to use caution over their plans for Saturday, with Chief Inspector Pete Dearden telling the New Journal: “People need to ask themselves if what they’re doing is safe. They won’t know who’s behind the door. It could be someone vulnerable.”

Share this story

Post a comment

,