Hottest acts set for Latin festival
05 December, 2019 — By Róisín Gadelrab
Melingo will be among the big names at La Linea Festival
THE first names have been announced for London Latin music celebration La Linea Festival, with a hot selection of cool Latin acts.
From Argentinian folktronica to commanding tango, La Linea’s programme is a fitting display of the vast range and variety of Latin styles and talent.
The 20th edition of the festival, which takes place from April 15 to May 4 next year, will host global superstars and top emerging talent from across the Latin music world, including Juana Molina, Sara Correia, Melingo and Bebel Gilberto.
Shows will take place in a number of London music venues including The Union Chapel, Jazz Cafe, Rich Mix, EarTh, Royal Festival Hall and others.
Dates announced so far include:
• April 15: Juana Molina, Jazz Café. Argentinian singer-songwriter Juana Molina specialises in experimental folktronica, mixing acoustic styles and electronica. Known for her mysterious, sophisticated experimental pop over two decades of experimentation.
• April 18: Sara Correia, Union Chapel. Making her UK debut, Portuguese musician Sara Correia is revered for her intense, smoky and passionate vocals, doing justice to the melancholic traditional Lisbon style.
• April 22: Melingo, Jazz Cafe. A true class act, Melingo is a Buenos Aires-based musician and tango artist, who cuts a cool figure. With comparisons to Tom Waits and Nick Cave, Melingo’s atmospheric tango transports the listener to a shady underworld.
• April 24: LoLa MC Showcases, Rich Mix.
LoLa MC, The London Latin Music Conference, hosted with LatinoLife, unites the business for a day of ideas exchange followed by an evening public showcase of emerging artists from London’s vibrant Latin scene.
• April 27: Tino Contreras, EartH. Mexican jazz master drummer Tino Contreras makes his UK debut playing music from his groundbreaking 1978 Quinto Sol album, Musica Infinita.
• May 2: Weyler: Maradona in Mexico, Rich Mix. You may have heard Javier Weyler’s score from recently released Netflix original series Maradona In Mexico. For La Linea, Weyler and his band will perform live from the soundtrack.
• May 2: Lina_ Raül Refree, Union Chapel. Lina, a Portuguese singer renowned for her haunting interpretations of Amalia Rodrigues’s classic repertoire, performs fado classics with Spanish producer/multi-instrumentalist Raül Refree – (Rosalía, Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo).
• May 4: Bebel Gilberto + Femina, Royal Festival Hall. Bebel Gilberto debuts her highly anticipated new album, along with tracks from her back catalogue as a member of Brazilian musical royalty.
• More information from https://www.comono.co.uk/la-linea/