Andrew Dismore to step down as London Assembly member
Exclusive: Labour begin search for new London Assembly candidate after former MP tells colleagues he will not stand again
11 January, 2019 — By Richard Osley
ANDREW Dismore, the London Assembly member for Barnet and Camden, has told colleagues he is to step down from City Hall.
In a message to Labour Party campaigners, the 64-year-old said he would not be standing again at the City Hall elections in 2020. His announcement will spark a scramble among local Labour politicians across both boroughs to win the Labour candidacy.
Mr Dismore trounced his Tory opponent, the Barnet councillor Dan Thomas, the last time the twin-borough constituency went to the polls in 2016, with Labour winning by more than 16,000 votes. He had unseated his headline-grabbing predecessor, the Conservative Brian Coleman, four years previously.
Mr Dismore said in an email this afternoon (Friday): “After almost 40 years in elected politics as a Labour Party councillor, MP and now Assembly Member, it feels the time is right to stand down at the May 2020 London elections. My decision is not on political but personal grounds. After so long a time in front line politics, I would like to help and encourage someone else to have the opportunity of representing the people of Barnet and Camden.”
He added: “Needless to say, I will continue to serve the two boroughs for the remainder of my term of office. I will also do all I can to support Labour’s new candidate for the 2020 Assembly election to retain the seat for Labour and to re-elect Sadiq as Mayor.”