Last Update:
Friday 23rd September, 2005

With Google
Survivor calls on minister to order a full public inquiry

Special report by RICHARD OSLEY and DAN CARRIER: Independent inquiry into ‘Camden Ripper’ murder spree says only the killer is to blame for deaths

Killer Anthony Hardy

Survivor Tina Harvey

Victims Bridgitte MacClennan (above) and Elizabeth Valad

A WOMAN who survived an attack by Anthony Hardy has renewed her calls for a public inquiry into the case – and has revealed for the first time how she managed to escape after Hardy tried to strangle her in her home, writes Dan Carrier.
Speaking at the publication of the report, Tina Harvey, 41, said she wanted Hardy to be tried for attempted murder after he assaulted her. She criticised the report which said Hardy was not suffering from mental illness, and also brandished a letter to the health secretary Patricia Hewitt calling on her to look into the care Hardy received.
She said: “How they can say he was not mad when he attacked me and killed those other women, I just don’t know.
“I looked into his eyes and they were crazed – they went yellow, and he looked like an animal.”
Ms Harvey, who has been diagnosed as suffering from post traumatic stress disorder following her ordeal, revealed she had been working as a masseuse in Northampton when Hardy first contacted her.
She had advertised her services as a glamour model and masseuse in Phoenix, an adult contacts magazine, in 2000.
She said: “Hardy found the advert and called me up. But I told him I no longer worked as a model.”
However, Hardy began to ring her regularly – and Ms Harvey said she finally gave in and agreed to meet him.
She said: “He pestered me and pestered me to come to my house in Northampton.”
She continued: “We agreed a fee of £80 for an hour’s massage and I took him up to a room I kitted out for my work.”
She lit candles and put on soothing dolphin music before starting her massage. But within minutes Hardy had turned from a quiet customer into a “raging madman”.
Ms Harvey continued: “I had made it clear that this was simply a massage, nothing else. I had my bondage gear I use for photographs on display in the room – heels and spiky tops – but I did not use them.”
She continued: “As I was massaging him, he suddenly grabbed me. He whipped me over on to my back and rolled on top of me.”
Hardy began to crush her chest with his bulk – and throttled her.
She continued: “He was saying how he wanted to make me bleed and he bit my private parts.”
As she looked into Hardy’s eyes, she said she knew she was looking into the eyes of a killer.
She added: “I suddenly realised, as the pressure on my throat got worse, that he was trying to kill me. I thought: I am not going to let my life end like this.”
Mustering all her strength, she managed to wriggle a leg free and squirm away from his powerful grip. The pair fell on to the floor – and suddenly Hardy, who moments before had been manic, calmed down. She continued: “He acted as if nothing had happened. I was petrified and shaking. I threw his clothes at him and ordered him out. He did not say a word. He just got up and left.”
A shaken Ms Harvey said: “I did not go to the police because of my background. I simply did not think they would take me seriously.”
It was only when she saw Hardy’s face on the news after his arrest in January 2003 that she realised how lucky she had been.
All content © New Journal Enterprises, 2005